Embedded Systems Engineering Services FAQ
How much will it cost and how long will it take?
Check out our embedded systems pricing page.
How do I know you can solve my problem?
There is always a leap of faith at some level because we’re in the world of creating solutions that don’t exist yet. But, if it’s an embedded system/subsystem you need, chances are we can help because we’ve successfully developed and delivered over 500 embedded solutions.
When are you not a good fit?
If you need a custom ASIC developed, we’ll be the first to advise you that we are not the right company for that. We’re happy to refer you to someone else.
If you’re looking for us to fund the product development in exchange for per-unit payments after launch, we’re not a good fit. It’s just not part of our business model.
I don’t want to be locked into using you in the future. How do you reduce that impact?
If we engage in a Requirements and Architecture definition effort, we’ll:
- review and capture your requirements,
- recommend an architectural approach, and
- provide a cost and schedule estimate.
Then, you’re welcome to take the completed Requirements and Architecture Document and competitively shop it around with other design services companies if you’d like.
In any case, if we are engaged to complete the design and development work for you, then you’ll own all aspects of the IP developed. We provide you a complete design package, including:
- Circuit analyses
- Validation report
- Fab & assembly drawings
- Full Source code (for all Software and FPGA design)
Can you show me a list of your capabilities?
Of course. See here.
How do I know you do high-quality work?
- We have an ever-growing list of happy customers. We’d be happy to connect you with a few of them for a conversation. Reach out here to initiate.
- Here are a few testimonials to help give you a warm fuzzy:
AppliedLogix has earned special recognition… the driving force behind the architecture specification, detailed design, PWB layout, and prototype design validation of this high-performance image path subsystem.
AppliedLogix’ commitment to quality and robustness has been a significant contributor to the success of our project.
A.L.’s capacity to frame and follow through on complex assignments is frighteningly good! I wish I could say it’s just youthful energy but you guys aren’t that young either. It’s very valuable.
Please pass along my thanks and appreciation to the AppliedLogix folks for pulling this one out of the fire… This is going to be big – you can’t believe the response. Product is dead-on for first generation.
What do you need from me?
A requirements spec or a statement of work from you is a great place to start. If you don’t know how to create this or don’t have the time, reach out here and we can help you to formulate one.
The information we need generally falls into these categories:
- Performance requirements
- Cost target
- Commercialization schedule goals
- Agency compliance requirements
- Packaging / form factor requirements
- Legacy product info
- Specific OS needs
- Future expansion / flexibility needs
I’ve already got hardware selected. I just need software. Is that okay?
I’ve got the software handled. I just need hardware. Is that something you can help with?
What’s the process look like to work together?
We can go two ways here:
- If you need/want us to dovetail into your design & development process and become an integral part of your team at a deep level, that’s fine.
- If you’d just like to focus on the end-product deliverables, then we have our own development process we follow as well. Our process utilizes a hybrid between a standard waterfall model and agile methodology, with a layer of project management on top (heavyweight or lightweight based on the rigor required).
Do I get the source code and design files (schematics, Gerbers)?
Do you work T&M, fixed price, other?
T&M mostly, but we’ll certainly entertain other arrangements.
Will you bring in sub-contractors?
The vast majority of your work will generally be done by our employees, but for super-tight timelines or esoteric expertise, we do have several vetted contractors that we pull in as needed.
How do you manage billing?
We typically do NET 30.
Do you work remotely or bring bodies on-site?
The bulk of our work is usually done remotely. We typically come on-site for test and integration efforts and final delivery. If there’s a need to be on site for weeks at a time, we’ll rotate people through as it makes sense.
How do we get started?
- Reach out here to initiate a conversation.
- One of our engineering team members will reach out within 1 business day to schedule a conversation to learn more about your needs.
- Follow-up calls are scheduled as needed to get us all on the same page.
- We’ll provide you a quote for either a design study (phase 0) or for development as appropriate.